UK/INDIA: Kyndal Group to open GBP6.7m Scotch distillery - report
Plans for a new GBP6.7m (US$10.7m) whisky distillery in Fife look set to go ahead after a deal between Indian drinks firm Kyndal and Perthshire distiller John Fergus Co, according to reports.
The two companies have signed a joint-venture agreement to establish a micro-distillery and bonded warehouses in Glenrothes, the BBC reported. The site is expected to be operational by 2015 and have a production capacity of 4m litres.
“Initially the volume will be low,” Siddharth Banerj, Kyndal's MD, was reported as saying at a media briefing on Friday (11 October). “By 2020 the project will be running on full capacity.”
The JV will focus on exporting to India, Africa and east Asia, Banerj said, and is likley to generate sales worth GBP3.6m over the next three years.
Around 15 new jobs are expected to be created.
"Developments towards rationalisation in import duty structures would open up a large market for Scotch whisky, and Kyndal in partnership with John Fergus & Co would like to maximize this huge opportunity,” Banerj added.
"Together, we would launch high-quality premium Scotch and ad-mix brands in these markets."
The project is being supported by a GBP1.6m grant from the Scottish Government's Food Processing Marketing and Co-operation Scheme (FPMC).
Planning permission for the 17-acre site was approved in January this year.
Kyndal Spirits Pvt Ltd UK was set up in 2001 as a vehicle for the management buy-out of Whyte & Mackay.
In 2006, Siddharth Banerj led a management buy-out of Kyndal India, prior to UB Group acquiring Whyte & Mackay the following year.
Just before January is out, Ian Buxton is here for his first comment piece of 2014, and he's keen to consider what the fist big M&A transacion of the year will mean in the Scotch whisky industry....
Moonshine Whiskey owner Stillhouse has teamed up with Blackheath Beverage Group to handle its sales and marketing across the US....
German spirits group Berentzen has replaced the president of its US unit with a former Whyte & Mackay and Pernod Ricard executive only a year since the division was established....
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends