S AFRICA: KWV sells Cavendish to Thierry's
KWV International has sold its UK subsidiary Edward Cavendish & Sons to Thierry's Wine Services.
The deal will see the South African wine group take a minor "but no insignificant" stake in Thierry's, KWV International said today (15 September). Financial details were undisclosed.
KWV International MD Johan Bestbier also declined to comment on how significant the share was at this stage.
The deal marks the culmination of a short and sharp exchange of ideas that started when KWV international began investigating various options in the last few months.
Thierry's MD Peter Darbyshire said linking up with Edward Cavendish and KWV would add great depth to their existing South African portfolio of estate wines from Ken Forrester, Diemersfontein, Danie de Wet and Excelsior.
Bestbier said Thierry's had exceptional penetration and understanding of the UK market, backed by consumer and market research, which could lead to a new styles of wines in the future.
As they gather in London for their annual tasting, Cape wine producers have two rather unpalatable facts to contemplate - falling sales in the UK and the country's failure to build its presence in the...
Having over-zealously planted red grape varieties over the past ten years, South Africa now finds itself with a glut of red wine, writes Richard Woodard. Meanwhile, there is insufficient capacity to m...
Thys Loubser, the newly-appointed chief executive at KWV Ltd, has begun ringing the changes at the South African drinks group....
Golden Kaan's strong Afro-centric packaging is set to receive a delicate Euro-centric makeover amid a "soft relaunch" of the wine's portfolio in 2007....
KWV Limited has appointed Thys Loubser as successor to CEO, Dr Willem Barnard, who is retiring after 12 years in the position....
KWV Ltd has serious ambitions to double its share value in the next three years, despite tough domestic and international competition and a worldwide wine glut....
German wine marketer Racke International has signalled its intention to focus solely on wine with the sale of three domestic spirits brands....
KWV Ltd has posted rising full-year earnings and sales after a year of local and international acquisitions....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future