SOUTH AFRICA: KWV Limited earnings plummet
KWV Limited's adjusted headline earnings for the first six months of its financial year dropped by a massive 30% from R70m to R50.5m.
However, the group said it was not discouraged by these interim results, which were in line with budgeted headline earnings for the period for the six months to 31 December 2003.
Almost two thirds of the group's turnover was derived from foreign currency and the group warned that if the strength of the Rand continued, the same negative trends would result for the year-end figures in June.
KWV's major launch into the South African market this month was also not expected have a "meaningful influence" on the final results for the year.
Total turnover of the group declined by 7.9% against the comparable period to 31 December 2002, while the exchange rate was responsible for a decline of about 8.5%.
Export volumes of packaged products grew by 2%, but the gross profit declined by R60.5m - 27% down on the same period in 2002.
PepsiCo is about to relaunch in South Africa, a market where Coca-Cola has had things entirely its own way for many years. Arnold Kirkby looks at PepsiCo's plans and assesses the impact the company's ...
There's nothing else like it in the just-drinks calendar. Three days, one venue and almost all our contacts, clients and collaborators under one roof. This year's London International Wine & Spirit Fa...
The flavouring scandal that rocked KWV at the end of last year has been the trigger for an upheaval in the way the South African leader will approach winemaking in the future. Chris Brook-Carter spoke...
KWV is launching a new logo and packaging for its KWV Classics range....
South African wine group KWV has appointed a senior winemaker....
Golden Kaan is to launch in the UK....
KWV has revamped its entry level brand in the UK Pearly Bay with a new label and outer packaging....
KWV International has launched the second phase of its assault on the South African market with the introduction of its KWV 3-year-old brandy and Cathedral Cellar and KWV Classic ranges as it expands ...
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Molson Coors' Rekorderlig Cider Cocktails - NPD
- Carlsberg's Shed Head and Bad Apple craft - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends