S AFRICA: KWV interims up but tougher times ahead
Turnover for the interim six months to 31 December rose by 6.3% to ZAR745.2m (US$92.9m), bolstered by total income from associates, with Distell the biggest by far, of ZAR164m, up 14.2% on the same period in 2006. KWV has an effective 17% share of its rival.
Headline earnings for this period amounted to ZAR106.2m compared to ZAR81.2m for the same period in 2006 - a 31% increase - leading to a 30.6% improvement in headline earnings per share.
However, CEO Thys Loubser has warned that the economic environment in most of the group's major export markets has become tougher and global growth and consumer spending is expected to slow down.
KWV, as with the rest of the industry, is experiencing significant inflationary pressures on production and other costs, which is squeezing margins, though the weakening of the South African Rand will partially alleviate the problem.
The South African whisky market grew by an estimated 16.2% in 2007 to over 3.5m cases. According to The IWSR's South Africa Wine and Spirits 2008 report, growth was largely driven by Jameson, Jack Dan...
A sales increase of 18.8% in packaged products over the past 12 months has made up for a 28% decline in bulk spirits sales at KWV....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Double-digit growth in export markets has boosted sales and profit at South African wine and spirits group Distell in its latest full-year....
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research