SOUTH AFRICA: KWV board lowers share proposal
The KWV Board has given ground on the number of shares to be allocated by the KWV Group to a newly proposed co-operative structure, following intensive negotiations with a small but powerful group of shareholders.
Instead of a 15% stake in the 390 million shares in KWV Limited it has accepted that 10% would be equitable, while the dissenting shareholders - also known as the "Group of Five" - who ironically between them have about a 15% share, accepted that Wijngaard's services proposal should be funded to the tune of R8 million a year for five years and not 10 years.
This was announced at a media conference in Paarl today by KWV Chairman, Lourens Jonker, who also said KWV Limited would have an option to purchase Wijngaard's shares should the co-operative decide to sell or alienate these shares in any other fashion.
"The effect of these steps is that the A shareholders benefit through less dilution of their shareholding, but that young and future farmers will still, through Wijngaard Co-operative, have an interest in the KWV," said Jonker.
Companies: KWV Ltd
PepsiCo is about to relaunch in South Africa, a market where Coca-Cola has had things entirely its own way for many years. Arnold Kirkby looks at PepsiCo's plans and assesses the impact the company's ...
There's nothing else like it in the just-drinks calendar. Three days, one venue and almost all our contacts, clients and collaborators under one roof. This year's London International Wine & Spirit Fa...
The flavouring scandal that rocked KWV at the end of last year has been the trigger for an upheaval in the way the South African leader will approach winemaking in the future. Chris Brook-Carter spoke...
KWV is launching a new logo and packaging for its KWV Classics range....
South African wine group KWV has appointed a senior winemaker....
Golden Kaan is to launch in the UK....
KWV has revamped its entry level brand in the UK Pearly Bay with a new label and outer packaging....
KWV International has launched the second phase of its assault on the South African market with the introduction of its KWV 3-year-old brandy and Cathedral Cellar and KWV Classic ranges as it expands ...
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends