UK: Kweichow Maotai Zhen gets UK release
Click through to view the range
Baijiu range Kweichow Maotai Zhen is to go on sale for the first time in the UK through a distribution deal with Mangrove.
The range, which includes a three-, five- and nine-year-old expression, will be available from this week, a Mangrove spokesperson told just-drinks today (23 April). It is produced by baijiu producer Kweichow Maotai.
Mangrove MD Nick Gillett said: “Around 14m bottles of Maotai are produced annually, however only around 1% of it is exported. This means there is real capacity for growth, particularly when one considers the large Chinese population here in the UK as well as our nation’s love of Chinese food and culture.”
The 53% abv range comprises:
- Maotai Zhen 3-year-old, GBP99 (US$166) per 50cl bottle
- Maotai Zhen 5-year-old, GBP125 per 50cl bottle
- Maotai Zhen 9-year-old, GBP150 per 50cl bottle
Baijiu's domestic sales have been heavily affected by China's anti-extravagance measures, according to local reports.
Correction: This article was corrected on 25 April. The brand is Kweichow Maotai Zhen and not Kweichow Moutai Zhen.
- Diageo chief admits "tougher than expected" year
- just The Preview - Diageo's FY preliminaries
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Will Diageo seize the day as "nadir" reached?
- Molson Coors CEO exit - Mega-Merger on hold?
- ASA bans Jägermeister TV ad
- Belvédère chairman to step down
- Diageo boosts exec committee
- Diageo silent over Shuijingfang writedown report
- Remy Cointreau names liqueurs & spirits CEO