CHINA: Kweichew Moutai, Wuliangye hit with price-fixing fines - report
China has recently launched an anti-corruption crackdown
Two of China's leading baijiu makers have been fined CNY449m (US$72m) for price fixing, according to state media.
Local price regulators ordered Kweichew Moutai and Wuliangye to pay CNY247m and CNY202m respectively, the China Daily reported on Saturday (23 February). It is the biggest fine since China's anti-monopoly laws were introduced in 2008, the newspaper said.
The report added that the fines, which represent 1% of the companies' annual sales, could have been bigger as the anti-monopoly laws allow for a penalty of up to 10% of annual sales.
Torsten Stocker, partner at strategy consulting firm Monitor-Deloitte Greater China, told just-drinks that the ruling is unusual because, in the past, the Chinese Government “has not paid too much attention to this type of channel price setting, which is banned under China’s anti-monopoly law”.
He added that baijiu makers have been hit hard recently by the government’s measures to limit the number of official occasions during which white spirit is consumed.
Late last year, China launched a crackdown on high-level luxury banquets, bringing down Moutai's share price.
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia RTD abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Pernod takes Absolut Warhol push to Travel Retail
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014