SERBIA: Knjaz Milos battle coming to close?
The privatisation battle for Knjaz Milos is approaching its conclusion. Both Danone and its main competitor, UK-based fund FPP Balkan, have claimed victory in the fight for the Serbian drinks firm over the weekend.
The two rivals claimed control 48 hours before today's deadline for small shareholders to submit sell orders to brokers. The Serbian Government has spent the last 25 months trying to privatise the domestic bottled water market leader.
The joint venture between Danone and Serbian basketball hero Vlade Divac, Apurna, was the first to say it had won. "We have a majority stake ... There was a confusion between us and small shareholders because no one told them clearly that they will get more money from us than competitors ... through a social programme," Divac's wife Snezana told a news conference.
FPP Balkan, which already holds a 25% share of Knjaz, was less explicit in saying it was the one with a controlling stake and said it wanted to wait until today for the official results."FPP knows exactly how many shares are already on its account, so it is physically impossible for anyone else to have gathered such a block of shares," FPP's representative in Belgrade Srdjan Muskatirovic said.
"They only confuse the public instead of conceding defeat."
There were three approved and valid takeover bids - by Apurna, FPP and Slovenian brewer Pivovarna Lasko - for Knjaz Milos.
Coca-Cola announced last week that it was taking over full control of its US water joint venture, CCDA Waters, buying out its partner, Danone. However, speculation over the poor performance of the CCD...
PepsiCo has denied press reports that it is looking to acquire Groupe Danone....
In a tough market for the home and office delivery segment of the US water market, Danone may have to cut the value of its subsidiary DS Waters, the UK's Financial Times reported today....
Groupe Danone is pulling out of the brewing industry....
Danone has completed another share buyback transaction....
Danone and Yakult have announced a joint venture to sell probiotic products in India. The move marks the first entrance by either company into the Indian market, in which they are aiming to become lea...
Danone has announced plans for a joint venture in India with Japan's Yakult Honsha Co. ...
France's Groupe Danone said on Friday that it had finally reached an agreement with The Coca-Cola Company to amend their existing deal regarding the distribution of retail bottled water products in No...
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages