Kirin's Lion buys New Zealand craft brewer Panhead
Lion said its acquisition of Panhead Custom Ales will complete in July
Kirin's Lion New Zealand unit has agreed to acquire craft brewer Panhead Custom Ales.
Panhead will operate as a standalone busniess unit within Lion, the company said today. Financial details were not disclosed.
The brewery will continue to produce beer from its Upper Hutt brewery, under founder Mike Neilson.
"The chance to have Panhead's future supercharged by a merger with the big boys was too good to pass up," said Neilson. "Lion's backing will help Panhead grow to a point where anyone, anywhere in the country will be able to experience our beer."
Lion New Zealand's managing director Rory Glass said the company had "no interest" in changing Panhead.
The deal is expected to complete in July.
Neilson, along with general manager Josh Drake, will be responsible for day-to-day operations. All other roles within the business remain unchanged, Lion said.
Lion has added a number of craft brewers to Kirin's Australian portfolio. The company owns Little Creatures, James Squire, White Rabbit, Kosciusko and Knappstein and last month announced it had bought another craft brand in Australia - Byron Bay Brewing Co.
Earlier this week, Kirin announced plans to open a craft beer venue in Hong Kong for its Australian micro-brewery Little Creatures.
In his latest commentary for just-drinks, former drinks analyst Ian Shackleton heads to Brazil to look at 3G's burned fingers, the future worries for Anheuser-Busch InBev and Britvic's samba moves....
Marketline's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Kirin Brewery Ltd aims to increase its sales over the forecast period by reinforcing core brands such as the mid-priced lager Kirin Ichiban Shibori and strengthening its craft beer portfolio. In addit...
The company, which owns brands such as Nova Schin and Devassa, has been investing highly in diversifying its portfolio to include premium beer. Its Baden Baden and Eisenbahn brands continued to perfor...
Reflecting the low profit level in the review period, the company will prioritise raising its profit level in the next three years. In order to achieve it, the company will strengthen its business in ...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends