JAPAN: Kirin set to launch mainstream beer
Kirin Brewery Co. is set to launch a flagship mainstream beer brand, according to reports in Japan.
The brewer, which is battling it out with rival Asahi Breweries for leadership of the Japanese beer market, will unveil the brand, named Kirin Gold, next week.
Kirin leads Japan's buoyant low-malt and no-malt beer segments but has lost top spot in the country's mainstream beer category.
A report from the Kyodo news agency yesterday (4 January) said Kirin Gold would sit alongside stable mate Kirin Ichiban in the brewer's portfolio.
Kirin Gold, which will be brewed using Czech Saaz hops, will be targeted at consumers aged 20- to 30-years old, the report said. The beer will be priced at around JPY270 (US$2.28) for a 500ml can.
Last month, Kirin set out a battleplan on how it plans to boost operating profit by at least 28% in the next three years. The brewer set out aggressive plans to focus on growth in its overseas operations, non-beer alcohol and soft drink businesses.
Kirin plans to spend JPY250bn on capital investments between 2007 and 2009. Kirin said it had set a further JPY300bn aside for investments to "secure a new growth trajectory", including acquisitions.
Japan has led the way in functional drinks and as market maturity and demographics have slowed sales, manufacturers have continued to innovate imaginatively. Jeanette Bengtsson, soft drinks manager at...
San Miguel is bringing forward the listing of its flagship domestic beer and packaging businesses on the Philippine stock market, according to reports....
San Miguel has authorised the listing of its flagship domestic beer and packaging businesses in the Philippine stock market....
Kirin Brewery Co has posted a healthy lift in Q1 sales....
San Miguel Corp. has posted rising sales in 2006, despite sliding volumes at its spirits arm....
A survey of the top brewers in Japan has shown total beer and quasi-beer shipments were flat in the first three months of this year....
Japanese beverage alcohol wholesaler Izmic Corp. has reportedly bought rival firm Yoshikawasyuhan Corp. for an undisclosed sum....
A major shareholder in Pernod Ricard has upped its stake in the French drinks giant....
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends