JAPAN: Kirin sales overtake Asahi - report
Kirin shipped almost 86.8m cases of beer and beer-based drinks during the first half of this year, according to reports quoting figures from the Brewers Association of Japan. That tally compared to the almost 86m cases shipped by Asahi.
The figures meant that Kirin's share of the Japanese beer market moved to 37.6%, just above Asahi's 37.3%, the reports said. Kirin now leads Japan's beer market for the first time in five years.
Kirin put its strong performance down to robust sales of low-malt beer brand Enjuku and its Nodogoshi Nama beer-like non-malt drink, the report added.
Asahi, however, saw its low-malt beer - or happoshu - sales slide in the first six months of the year, a fall that offset growing sales of flagship brand Super Dry.
The figures quoted from the Brewers Association of Japan revealed that the country's top five brewers shipped 230.66m cases of beer during the six-month period, up 1.1% on the year.
Kirin Brewery Co. is set to launch a flagship mainstream beer brand, according to reports in Japan....
Kirin Brewery Co. is aiming to boost operating profit by at least 28% in the next three years by focusing on growth in its overseas operations, non-beer alcohol and soft drink businesses....
Japanese beer maker Kirin Brewery Co. is to buy a 25% stake in China's Hangzhou Qiandaohu Brewery Co. in a deal worth JPY4.5bn (US$38.1m)....
Asahi Breweries is targeting a slight increase on its forecast sales volumes for next year....
Asahi Breweries has handed the responsibility of selling and distributing flagship brand Asahi Super Dry in the UK over to local partner Shepherd Neame....
Asahi Breweries has confirmed that it will transfer most of its soft drinks operations to sister company LB Co., according to local reports....
Ito En, Japan's leading producer of green-tea drinks, has enjoyed a rise in first-half sales and earnings....
Kirin Brewery Co is continuing with talks to find a partner to help it expand in the Chinese market....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- US spirits pricing went "a little high" - Diageo
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo H1 sales flatline as Q2 improves
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research