JAPAN: Kirin, Lion Nathan pool raw material purchases
The Japanese company said today (10 January) that it will begin full-scale joint procurement of hops with Lion Nathan after successful trials of the idea late last year. Kirin will be responsible for locating and buying European hops for the two companies, while Lion Nathan will handle procurement of New Zealand hops for itself and Kirin.
The announcement follows confirmation from several brewers around the world in the last few months that they were raising prices as a result of rising commodity costs. In December, Sapporo Breweries said it was upping prices for its beer and beer-like beverages, following Kirin itself and Asahi Breweries.
In October, Kirin Brewery, Kirin Beverage and Suntory teamed up to conserve resources and reduce packaging costs in Japan. The three Japanese companies plan to synchronise their aluminium can requirements, and jointly purchase cardboard packaging. The introduction of the uniformed cans, which narrow towards the top, will result in an estimated saving of around JPY100m (US$876.7m) per year, the companies said.
Kirin holds 46% control of Lion Nathan.
Asahi Breweries is to hike its wine prices by 3-20% as a result of increased procurement costs, according to reports....
Sapporo Breweries said that it will raise the prices of 33 wine products made in Japan by between 11 and 14%, according to local reports....
San Miguel Brewery has had a 'buy' rating initiated on its stock by Citigroup....
Sapporo Breweries Ltd. said that it will print on beer cans the total amount of carbon dioxide emitted through its production and distribution processes, according to local reports....
Asahi Breweries aims to almost quadruple its overseas revenue to YN200bn ($1.86 billion) within five years from YN55.4bn in 2007 as it tries to offset declining alcohol consumption at home, according ...
Lion Nathan has said its spirit and RTD brands, McKenna Bourbon and Inner Circle Rum, will be sold exclusively through its joint venture Bacardi-Lion in Australia....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Lion Nathan has secured a long-term import presence for its wine portfolio in the US. The trans-Tasman drinks company, which saw it previous US distributor, Beam Wine Estates, sell up to Constellation...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer