Kirin Holdings secures Myanmar Brewery Ltd stake buy
Kirin Holdings has stepped in to buy Fraser & Neave's majority stake in Myanmar Brewery Ltd for US$560m.
The transaction, announced earlier today, sees Kirin take control of 55% of the country's largest brewer. Myanma Economic Holdings Ltd (MEHL) holds the remaining 45%.
Fraser & Neave was instructed to offload its stake in Myanmar Brewery late last year after an arbitration panel in Singapore ruled that Heineken's buy-out of Fraser & Neave from their JV - and initial Myanmar Brewery stakeholder - Asia Pacific Breweries brought the 55% holding into question.
Earlier this month, Fraser & Neave and MEHL agreed a value of $560m for the stake, over double MEHL's earlier valuation of $246m.
Today, Kirin said: "In its 'Kirin Group Vision 2021' (programme) ... Kirin is developing integrated beverages business under its global management system focused on Oceania, Brazil and South-East Asia. With this latest investment in Myanmar, Kirin will further strengthen its business in the South-East Asian region."
Kirin was among the brewers rumoured to be interested in Myanmar Brewery back in February.
Carlsberg was one of the first major breweries to start production in the country, earlier this year, with Heineken setting up a JV with a view to building a new brewery in 2013. Heineken's brewery was officially opened in July.
To read Kirin's official statement, click here.
Today, Heineken reported a rise in H1 sales and volumes. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the group's performance by region and brand:...
Marketline's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
A Heineken premium cider range sold in 75cl wine-style bottles is to expand into the UK on-premise after an off-premise trial....
Asia Pacific Breweries Ltd will continue to use Singapore as a strategic base through which to launch its expansion plans for Southeast Asia....
Carlsberg is expected to remain a niche player in alcoholic drinks in Pakistan in the forecast period....
Carlsberg's craft brewery Jacobsen Brewhouse will release a limited edition lager in tribute to Hans Christian Andersen later this month. ...
Carlsberg Brewery Malaysia Bhd (CBM) expects consumption to remain sluggish due to the rising cost of living....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research