JAPAN: Kirin Holdings' Q1 boosted by Fraser & Neave stake sale
- Q1 net profits up to JYN54.3bn (US$550m) after JYN3bn loss in 2012 Q1
- Net sales rise by 4.7% to JYN520.6bn
- Operating profits down by 4.6% to JYN24.15bn
- Kirin Brewery sales, profits fall; Lion sales, profits up
Kirin has seen net profits soar after relinquishing its stake in Fraser & Neave
Kirin Holdings has reported a significant return to net profit in its first-quarter helped by the sale of its stake in Fraser & Neave earlier this year.
Group net profits in the three months to the end of March hit JYN54.3bn (US$550m), in contrast to last year's Q1 loss of JYN3bn, the conglomerate said late last week. Sales in this year's first quarter were up by 4.7% to JYN520.6bn.
Operating profits fell by 4.6% to JYN24.15bn.
Sales in Kirin's domestic brewery division fell by 5.3% to JYN142.4bn in the quarter, while operating profits dropped from JYN3.6bn to JYN0.5bn.
In Australia, the group's Lion unit saw sales in the three months up 19.3% to JYN127.6bn. Operating profits edged up to JYN19.4bn.
On Lion, the company said the unit remains "focussed on sustainable cost reduction and brand investment and innovation, to drive value in the market".
It said that net profits were "up sharply" due to gains from the sale of "investment securities" in conjunction with the sale of F&N. In February, the group said it was selling its 15% stake in F&N to TCC Assets for around SGD2bn (US$1.6bn).
After Schincariol Participações e Representações SA was totally acquired by Kirin Holdings at the end of 2011, the company started to review its process and structure, in order to become more organise...
Earlier this week, analysts at UBS released their latest 'Beeronomics' research note, looking at the global beer landscape. Here, courtesy of UBS, is a breakdown of the top 25 beer markets around the ...
Kirin Brewery Co Ltd aims to increase its sales and profit by 2015. In order to achieve this, the company plans to invest its resources to enhance the Kirin brand regardless of its profit in 2013. The...
Mercian Corp, as Kirin Holding’s subsidiary focused mainly on wine, targets to strengthen its marketing activities and tie-ups with Kirin Brewery. Mainly focusing on table wines, the company aims to r...
The soft drinks market represents around 30% of Primo Schincariol’s net sales, and carbonates, bottled water and fruit/vegetable juice are the most representative products within the company’s portfol...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future