JAPAN: Kirin Holdings' Q1 boosted by Fraser & Neave stake sale
- Q1 net profits up to JYN54.3bn (US$550m) after JYN3bn loss in 2012 Q1
- Net sales rise by 4.7% to JYN520.6bn
- Operating profits down by 4.6% to JYN24.15bn
- Kirin Brewery sales, profits fall; Lion sales, profits up
Kirin has seen net profits soar after relinquishing its stake in Fraser & Neave
Kirin Holdings has reported a significant return to net profit in its first-quarter helped by the sale of its stake in Fraser & Neave earlier this year.
Group net profits in the three months to the end of March hit JYN54.3bn (US$550m), in contrast to last year's Q1 loss of JYN3bn, the conglomerate said late last week. Sales in this year's first quarter were up by 4.7% to JYN520.6bn.
Operating profits fell by 4.6% to JYN24.15bn.
Sales in Kirin's domestic brewery division fell by 5.3% to JYN142.4bn in the quarter, while operating profits dropped from JYN3.6bn to JYN0.5bn.
In Australia, the group's Lion unit saw sales in the three months up 19.3% to JYN127.6bn. Operating profits edged up to JYN19.4bn.
On Lion, the company said the unit remains "focussed on sustainable cost reduction and brand investment and innovation, to drive value in the market".
It said that net profits were "up sharply" due to gains from the sale of "investment securities" in conjunction with the sale of F&N. In February, the group said it was selling its 15% stake in F&N to TCC Assets for around SGD2bn (US$1.6bn).
Datamonitor's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organ...
Earlier this week, analysts at UBS released their latest 'Beeronomics' research note, looking at the global beer landscape. Here, courtesy of UBS, is a breakdown of the top 25 beer markets around the ...
After Schincariol Participações e Representações SA was totally acquired by Kirin Holdings at the end of 2011, the company started to review its process and structure, in order to become more organise...
Kirin Brewery Co Ltd aims to increase its sales and profit by 2015. In order to achieve this, the company plans to invest its resources to enhance the Kirin brand regardless of its profit in 2013. The...
By establishing a new business entity, Kirin Group Office Co Ltd, under which Kirin Beverage, Kirin Brewery and Mercian Corp are included, the company aims to realise stronger synergy across beverage ...
- A tobacco analogy soft drinks will want to embrace
- Pernod's Portman Group penalty - a coincidence?
- just The Preview - SABMiller's Q1
- just Five Years Ago: A-B InBev sells Oriental
- Cleaning China's seedier side brings Remy balance
- Diageo faces public consultation over W&M sale
- William Grant silent on Drambuie bid talk
- Bacardi to fight US football team legal action
- Diageo's Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned
- Remy posts Q1 sales drop as Edrington loss bites