JAPAN: Kirin Holdings' Q1 boosted by Fraser & Neave stake sale
- Q1 net profits up to JYN54.3bn (US$550m) after JYN3bn loss in 2012 Q1
- Net sales rise by 4.7% to JYN520.6bn
- Operating profits down by 4.6% to JYN24.15bn
- Kirin Brewery sales, profits fall; Lion sales, profits up
Kirin has seen net profits soar after relinquishing its stake in Fraser & Neave
Kirin Holdings has reported a significant return to net profit in its first-quarter helped by the sale of its stake in Fraser & Neave earlier this year.
Group net profits in the three months to the end of March hit JYN54.3bn (US$550m), in contrast to last year's Q1 loss of JYN3bn, the conglomerate said late last week. Sales in this year's first quarter were up by 4.7% to JYN520.6bn.
Operating profits fell by 4.6% to JYN24.15bn.
Sales in Kirin's domestic brewery division fell by 5.3% to JYN142.4bn in the quarter, while operating profits dropped from JYN3.6bn to JYN0.5bn.
In Australia, the group's Lion unit saw sales in the three months up 19.3% to JYN127.6bn. Operating profits edged up to JYN19.4bn.
On Lion, the company said the unit remains "focussed on sustainable cost reduction and brand investment and innovation, to drive value in the market".
It said that net profits were "up sharply" due to gains from the sale of "investment securities" in conjunction with the sale of F&N. In February, the group said it was selling its 15% stake in F&N to TCC Assets for around SGD2bn (US$1.6bn).
Earlier this week, analysts at UBS released their latest 'Beeronomics' research note, looking at the global beer landscape. Here, courtesy of UBS, is a breakdown of the top 25 beer markets around the ...
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Wm Grant redesigns Glenfiddich 21yo Gran Reserva
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends