JAPAN: Kirin Holdings' H1 sales rise despite domestic beer worries
- Group net profits up 355% to JYN59.6bn (US$597m)
- Sales increase 5.2% to JYN1.1tn
- Operating profits climb 12.6% to JYN55.7bn
- Domestic beer sales drop 3.5%
Kirin has seen a slowdown in Brazil
Kirin Holdings has posted a big jump in first half profits as it continues to benefit from the sale of its stake in Fraser & Neave this year, however domestic beer sales remain a concern.
Group net profits in the six months to the end of June hit JYN59.6bn (US$597m), a 355% year-on-year rise, the Japanese brewer, soft drinks maker and pharmaceutical firm said today (2 August). H1 sales were up by 5.2% to JYN1.1tn, while operating profits climbed by 12.6% to JYN55.7bn.
Sales in Kirin's domestic beverage division fell by 0.5% to JYN538.6bn in the half, with Kirin Brewery sales dropping by 3.5% to JPY333.5bn. Overall Japanese domestic beverage operating profits fell by 2.5%, while domestic brewer Kirin Brewery saw operating profits drop by 2.4%.
Kirin's international beverage units performed better, with overseas integrated beverages posting a 18.6% sales increase in the first half to JPY347.2bn and operating profits climbing by 4.6%.
The company said Brazil showed signs of a “moderate slowdown” in beer consumption, and a boost in first-half sales had been achieved only through increased spending to “reinforce brands”.
Kirin Holdings share priced ended today's trading up 2.3% at JPY1,531.
To read the company's official statement, click here.
Companies: Kirin Brewery Co.
Here, courtesy of analysts at Nomura, is a list of the purchases made in the global brewing industry between 1999 and last year, along with the EBITDA multiples paid....
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research