JAPAN: Kirin Holdings eyes San Miguel Brewery stake
Kirin, Japan's second largest brewer, said today (19 January) that it has gained exclusive rights to enter talks with San Miguel Corp about the Philippine group's beer business.
Kirin said it planned to acquire a 43.25% stake in San Miguel Brewery, which, if successful, "will significantly contrinbute to Kirin's further growth in its alcohol business in Asia and Oceania".
Both groups hope to sign a final agreement by the end of February, Kirin added.
A shrinking domestic beer market has forced Japan's big brewers to look abroad for fresh growth opportunities.
San Miguel Brewery has a 95% of the Philippines beer market, as well as a presence in China, Vietnam, Indonesia and Thailand. Kirin already owns Australia's largest brewer, Lion Nathan.
The US has Budweiser, the so-called King of Beers. Soon Japan may have a Godzilla. Kirin, the country's biggest maker of suds, is mulling a merger with family-owned drinks maker Suntory, according to ...
The confirmation on Monday (13 July) that Japan's two largest drinks companies - Kirin and Suntory - are in discussions on merging their operations may have caught the industry by surprise, but the re...
Following this week's news that Kirin Holdings and Suntory are in merger talks, just-drinks has compiled five essential facts on the Japanese beer market....
As drinks companies look desperately for the elusive 'green shoots' of economic recovery, Spiros Malandrakis of Euromonitor International examines the varying impact the downturn has had across region...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Ginebra San Miguel, the spirits arm of San Miguel Corp, has reported net profits up by 75% in the first half of 2009....
An alliance of alcoholic drinks firms and retailers have unveiled a GBP100m (US$164m) campaign to tackle excessive drinking among young people in the UK....
Lion Nathan has said it is on-track to meet profits guidance for its full-year after beer sales continued to rise in the brewer's third quarter....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages