JAPAN: Kirin Holdings expects profits rebound in 2012
Kirin Holdings has said that it expects net sales and profits to rebound in 2012 as it continues to economise in Japan and capitalise on acquisitions overseas.
Kirin said today (10 February) that net sales are expected to reach JPY2.23tn (US$28.7bn) in the 12 months to the end of December 2012. If achieved, this would represent a 7.7% increase on anticipated sales of JPY2.07tn in 2011. The figures are prior to excise tax reductions.
The Japanese brewer and soft drinks maker is looking forward to reaping stronger rewards from a plethora of overseas acquisitions in the last three years, such as Schincariol in Brazil, Lion in Australia and a 48% stake in San Miguel Brewery in the Philippines. It will also continue to cut costs in its domestic business.
For 2012, Kirin said that operating profits should rise by 13.4% on anticipated levels for 2011, to JPY162bn. In 2010, operating profits were JPY151bn.
While the group has yet to publish full-year results for 2011, it said last month that profits and sales would be lower than originally expected. It cut its net profits outlook for 2011 by 74%, due to JPY10bn of impairment charges on fixed assets, including JPY6.6bn charge on its Australia business.
Following the trajectory in other major markets, Brazil looks ripe for a round of beer consolidation to create a stronger number two behind Anheuser-Busch InBev's AmBev unit. It's an open question, ho...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018