JAPAN: Kirin Holdings claims top spot from Asahi
No-malt beer, or "third beers" as they are sometimes known, accounted for 29.2% of Japanese beer market volume in first quarter of 2009, up from just 9% four years ago, Kirin said.
The brewer said this growth has helped it to retake the lead from Asahi in terms of domestic volume sales in the first quarter.
"We appreciate absolutely the favorable start to the year, as we understand it is the result of our efforts to provide good products to satisfy customers' expectation and needs," a Kirin spokesperson told just-drinks this week.
"However, gaining market share is not our top priority. We always aim to increase customers with loyalty to the Kirin Brand."
Those who doubted that Anheuser-Busch InBev would meet its US$7bn disposals target clearly underestimated the beast they were dealing with....
The road has come to an end for Lion Nathan, which has officially been swallowed by Japan's Kirin Holdings....
The news this week that Suntory has launched a binding offer to acquire Orangina Schweppes is another sign of the growing international aspirations of Japan's drinks groups. Alongside the mooted merge...
The economic downturn has impacted all consumer spending, and sales of soft drinks are no exception. But ready-to-drink tea is well positioned to be fairly resilient in this environment, due to its na...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Lion Nathan yesterday (7 October) ceased to exist as a separate entity after Australia's Federal Court approved the takeover of the brewer by Japan's Kirin Holdings....
Lion Nathan has ceased to exist as a separate entity after Australia's Federal Court approved the takeover of the brewer by Japan's Kirin Holdings....
Strong demand for bottled beer boosted sales at UK ale brewer Shepherd Neame in its most recent fiscal year, but the group saw profits fall on higher costs....
- Analysis - SABMiller to add bolt-ons in Africa?
- A-B InBev's Move on Tennent's Super Makes Sense
- Brand Diversification Driving Craft Brewery Growth
- Analysis - Stock Spirits: Poland's number one
- What's on the M&A cards for San Miguel Brewery?
- Pernod Ricard's Café de Paris Pear, Pomegranate
- PepsiCo CEO sees "profound" change in US consumers
- William Grant sinks GBP185,000 into "No" camp
- William Grant & Sons boosts Travel Retail team
- First Drinks becomes William Grant UK