CHINA/JAPAN: Kirin Holdings adds to China budget beer stable
Kirin Holdings Co. has added a second budget-priced beer to its line-up in China, which it is producing under the Haizhu brand.
The CNY3 (US$0.44) beer is made by Kirin Brewery (Zhuhai) Co., a wholly-owned brewer based in Guangdong Province, where the new brew is now on sale. The company said it is following a policy of introducing more low priced beers to appeal to the young and the recently more price-sensitive Chinese middle classes.
The beer is sold in the slightly larger than average 640ml bottle to emphasise its bargain qualities, Kirin said.
The Kirin unit has been marketing high-end beer products priced at around CNY6 under the Kirin brand, as well as mid-range offerings in the CNY4.5 to CNY5 range.
Kirin also said that it regards Guangdong Province as a key market and plans to increase its name recognition among the young there.
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week....
Kirin Holdings has blamed unfavourable currency rates and a weakened Japanese economy for a fall in sales and profits in 2009....
Japanese drinks group Kirin Holdings has appointed a new president and CEO as it looks to push on with plans to drive earnings, despite a breakdown in merger talks with Suntory....
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report