JAPAN: Kirin goes it alone on price cuts - report
Kirin Brewery is to break with tradition later this year when it cuts its shipment prices, according to reports.
The Nihon Keizai Shimbun said this weekend that the Japanese company will price its beers independently of its three domestic competitors once revised liquor tax rates take effect in May.
With the tax on a 350ml can of beer expected to fall by JPY0.7, Asahi, Sapporo Breweries and Suntory have said that they will reduce their shipment prices by JPY0.75 shortly after the rates are lowered. Kirin, however, plans to reduce its shipment price by JPY1 (US$0.008, the report noted.
Kirin will also lower the price of its 633ml bottles by JPY1, while the other three brewers will cut their prices by JPY1.25 on a tax drop of JPY1.26.
Kirin's move away from the tradition of going along with the other brewers is an attempt to unseat Asahi as the market leader, the business paper said.
Last month, Kirin posted a 4.4% rise in net profit for 2005, despite a dip in group sales of 1.4%.
Spirits company Blavod Extreme Spirits and the Japanese drinks group Suntory recently announced the formation of a joint venture to develop and market new spirits brands. Chris Brook-Carter spoke with...
Sapporo Breweries has raised its sales targets for its low-alcoholic fruit drink brand "Fruit Sparkling"....
Suntory International Corp. is to release three types of shochu in the US....
The Blavod Extreme Spirits joint venture Diamante Spirits is to produce and market a new Tequila, El Diamante del Cielo (Diamond in the Sky). The new product will have a retail value between US$45-60 ...
Blavod Extreme Spirits has agreed to form a joint venture company with Suntory International Corp, the US subsidiary of Suntory Limited. ...
Sapporo Holdings Ltd has reported a consolidated pretax loss for the half ended in June....
Suntory Ltd is to suspend sales of its Bubbleman Soda Jet soft drink....
The Japanese brewer, Sapporo Breweries Ltd., is to launch a new range of low-alcohol drinks in the autumn under the brand name, Fruit Sparking....
- Ten questions for Diageo - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- How craft beer has shattered its US shackles
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- New CEO sparks optimism at Coca-Cola - Analysis
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- BrewDog moves into spirits with LoneWolf launch
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Johnnie Walker Bourbon Cask & Rye Finish - NPD
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Craft Beer: Coming of Age or Past Its Prime?
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report