JAPAN: Kirin eyes further San Miguel beer assets - report
Kirin CEO Kazuyasu Kato told the Dow Jones newswire yesterday (11 March) that a move for San Miguel International was a possible next step for the Japanese brewer.
A Kirin spokesperson could not be reached for comment this afternoon.
Philippines-based San Miguel Corp has brewing operations across the Asia-Pacific region, including in China, Vietnam, and Indonesia.
Kirin, which has already agreed a deal to buy 43% of San Miguel Brewery (SMB) for PHP59bn (US$1.2bn), said late last week that it will launch a tender offer to acquire all remaining shares owned by SMB parent firm, San Miguel Corp.
If successful, Kirin's stake in SMB will rise to 49%. The Japanese brewer said that it planned to offer PHP7.8bn ($161m) for the extra shares and hopes to complete both deals by the end of May.
A Kirin spokesperson told just-drinks last month that the firm plans to source 30% of its beer sales from outside of Japan by 2015. It estimates that 24% of sales will come from other countries in 2009.
There is always a bubble inflating somewhere. Right now that somewhere appears to be the soft drinks market. Intense interest among Japanese buyers has created an opportunity for US private-equity fir...
The US has Budweiser, the so-called King of Beers. Soon Japan may have a Godzilla. Kirin, the country's biggest maker of suds, is mulling a merger with family-owned drinks maker Suntory, according to ...
The confirmation on Monday (13 July) that Japan's two largest drinks companies - Kirin and Suntory - are in discussions on merging their operations may have caught the industry by surprise, but the re...
Suntory Holdings seems to have its hands full at the moment. Not only is it in merger talks with Japanese rival Kirin Holdings, but it is now close to a deal to buy the French soft drink brand Orangin...
The owners of Orangina Schweppes Group have confirmed that talks have opened with Suntory Holdings over a possible purchase transaction....
Japan's Suntory Holdings is in talks to acquire the Orangina drinks brand from private equity groups Lion Capital and Blackstone, according to reports....
Boisset Family Estates, the US division of French wine producer Boisset, has closed a deal to acquire Raymond Vineyard & Cellar from Japan's Kirin Holdings....
San Miguel Corporation has posted a lift in group sales and operating profits for the first half of this year, driven by a healthy performance from its spirits division....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages