CHINA: Kirin buys stake in local brewer
Japanese beer maker Kirin Brewery Co. is to buy a 25% stake in China's Hangzhou Qiandaohu Brewery Co. in a deal worth JPY4.5bn (US$38.1m).
Kirin said it also has the option to boost its stake in the Chinese brewer to 49%.
The deal is Kirin's latest attempt to build a presence in the world's largest beer market, which continues to see a raft of its domestic brewers snapped up by larger, multinational brewers.
Last week, SABMiller, which has a 49% stake in China Resources Snow Breweries, said it had bought two more Chinese brewers for a total of US$22.4m.
Kirin's latest quarry, Hangzhou Qiandaohu, has an annual capacity of 1.6m hectolitres. Philippines conglomerate San Miguel Corp., in which Kirin owns a 20% stake, owns three breweries in China with a combined capacity of 6.1m hl.
Hangzhou Qiandaohu is based in the Yangtze river delta and produces Cheerday beer.
Kirin, which is fighting it out with Asahi Breweries, for leadership in the Japanese beer market, is eyeing the buoyant consumption of beer in China as demand back home stagnates.
Heineken is targeting strong export potential from its newly-acquired brewery in the Czech Republic....
Heineken has acquired a brewery in the Czech Republic....
Carlsberg has launched one of its Eastern European beers in India....
Miller Brewing is rolling out a new beer across the US in an attempt to capitalise on the "Latinisation" of the country's culture....
SABMiller's South African unit is struggling under the weight of what it has called "unusually high" demand for its beer brands in the country....
The possible privatisation of a brewery in Belarus has a slew of global brewers pondering a purchase, according to reports....
The SABMiller subsidiary Plzensky Prazdroj saw a 2.6% rise in net profit last year, on the back of a 6.4% rise in revenues, it was reported today....
SABMiller has confirmed closure of its sale of a juice business in Latin America....
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic hits make-or-break time for US Fruit Shoot
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- This week in spirits & wine
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts