JAPAN: Kirin buys into Mercian wine company
Kirin Brewery has launched a friendly bid to buy a majority stake in wine company Mercian Corp.
The Japanese brewer said today (16 November) that it will buy 50.12% of the shares available in Mercian in a deal worth an estimated JPY24.79bn (US$210m). Mercian's board has also announced that it will agree to Kirin's tender offer, which will run between tomorrow and 18 December.
"We aim to become the strongest comprehensive liquor group in Japan," said Kirin's president Kazuyasu Kato. "We will improve our position in the domestic market (through the purchase) and solidify groundwork for mid- and long-term growth."
Earlier this year, Kirin Brewery posted a 20% leap in profits for the first half of the year. The company subsequently upped its full-year sales forecast to JPY1.68 trillion and maintained its profit outlook at JPY117bn.
Japan has led the way in functional drinks and as market maturity and demographics have slowed sales, manufacturers have continued to innovate imaginatively. Jeanette Bengtsson, soft drinks manager at...
San Miguel has authorised the listing of its flagship domestic beer and packaging businesses in the Philippine stock market....
Kirin Brewery Co has posted a healthy lift in Q1 sales....
San Miguel Corp. has posted rising sales in 2006, despite sliding volumes at its spirits arm....
A survey of the top brewers in Japan has shown total beer and quasi-beer shipments were flat in the first three months of this year....
A major shareholder in Pernod Ricard has upped its stake in the French drinks giant....
The latest review of new drinks products has highlighted a juice-heavy energy drink, a controversially-named coffee and some new packaging innovations....
Chinese beer maker Kingway Brewery said today (14 February) that its CNY400m (US$51.5m) plant in the city of Foshan will be up and running early next year....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends