JAPAN: Kirin Brewery Q1 profits soar
Kirin Brewery Co. has posted a healthy rise in fiscal Q1 group profits. The Japanese brewer credited the rise to the strength of its parent company's non-beer alcoholic beverage operations.
Net profit for the brewer increased fourfold for the quarter ending in March to Y3.56 billion (US$31.3m) from Y807m year-on-year.
Sales for the group also rose, by 3.6% to Y326.5 billion from Y315.24 billion, while operating profit climbed by 46.2% to Y14.58 billion.
Sales of the parent company's "chuhai," a low-priced, fruit-flavoured alcoholic beverage, and firm drug operations helped underpin Kirin's bottom line in the quarter. Kirin also cited strong performances at its subsidiaries, including Lion Nathan Ltd. Kirin Beverage Corp.
A spokesman for the brewer said that the company's beer sales volume in the first quarter was almost in line with the industry-wide average decline of 7%.
But brisk sales of Kirin's "Hyoketsu" canned chuhai brand and other non-beer liquor products caused a 2% on-year rise in its liquor business sales to Y207.2 billion. Operating profit in the company's mainline operations rose by 34% to Y7.9 billion.
For the current business year, which ends in December, Kirin left its earnings outlook unchanged. It continues to expect group operating profit of Y106 billion, up 4.4% from its 2003 result. It estimates group net profit will increase by 33% to Y43 billion.
After some less than successful diversification in recent years, Lion Nathan is focusing its attentions back on beer and winning the approval of analysts in the process. The company looks set to gain ...
Integrating spirits, wine and beer has proved problematic for major drinks groups over the years but expansionary moves by the two major Australian brewers, Foster's Group and Lion Nathan, suggest tha...
Lion Nathan has appointed a new non-executive director....
Coopers Brewery is fighting the takeover attempt from fellow Australian brewer Lion Nathan....
Lion Nathan today announced that it intends to make an off-market offer for Coopers Brewery Ltd (Coopers). The offer of A$260 per share in cash values Coopers at A$352m....
Lion Nathan has received further assurances that it is not about to be taken over....
Lion Nathan has played down speculation that it may be the subject of a takeover....
Lion Nathan has said it is on target to reach its full-year net profit after tax forecast for 2005 of between A$230m and A$235m before one-off charges....
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US