JAPAN: Kirin battle weighs on Asahi earnings
Asahi today (6 February) posted operating profit of JPY88.7bn (US$738.6m), down from JPY90.2bn a year earlier. Net sales inched up 1.1% to JPY1.4 trillion.
However, Asahi, which leads the Japanese beer market in terms of shipments, said net profit had risen 12% to JPY44.8bn due to a fall in losses from the sale of production equipment.
The company, which also has interests in the soft drinks sector, spent 2006 battling it out with Kirin for leadership of Japan's beer market. Asahi hung on to top spot, despite its beer sales falling 3.1% to around 188m cases.
Separately, Asahi also announced that it plans to adopt a so-called "poison pill" defence against any possible takeover.
The plan would allow Asahi to issue extra shares if a hostile bidder tried to buy more than 20% of the company.
Japan has led the way in functional drinks and as market maturity and demographics have slowed sales, manufacturers have continued to innovate imaginatively. Jeanette Bengtsson, soft drinks manager at...
Asahi Breweries has warned that sales this year will be lower than initially forecast....
Japanese brewers Sapporo, Asahi, Kirin, Suntory and Orion have shown a second straight month of year-on-year decreases in beer shipments, according to reports....
Japan's Kirin Brewery Co. has launched its first "premium beer" brand in 14 years....
Kirin Brewery Co. aims to keep its 46.1% stake in the Australian brewer Lion Nathan, according to The Australian Financial Review....
Kirin Holdings, the umbrella company to Kirin brewery, has upgraded its forecasts for the first half of this year....
San Miguel Corp has made no further comment over its talks to sell its stake in Australian dairy and fruit juice company National Foods....
San Miguel is bringing forward the listing of its flagship domestic beer and packaging businesses on the Philippine stock market, according to reports....
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review