JAPAN: Kirin adds to third-category beer offering - report
Kirin Brewery is due to add to its third-category beer stable in Japan, according to reports.
The company is set to release Sparkling Hop in the country in late October, JCN Network reported yesterday (21 August). The drink, which bypasses Japan's liquor tax system, is made of a mix of happoshu and spirits, the news service said. Made with Japanese and New Zealand hops, Sparkling Hop is classified as a liqueur, which carries a lower tax rate than beer and happoshu in the country.
Kirin already offers Ryoshitsu Sozai and Nodogoshi Nama in the category to its domestic customers.
Sparkling Hop will be available at JPY135 (US$1.17) per 350-millilitre can, with the company targeting sales in the region of 1.6m cases by the end of this year.
Earlier this month, Kirin's parent company, Kirin Holdings, saw net profits in the first six months of this year slide by 12%, coming in at JPY16.8bn (US$142.3m). The company blamed higher costs of raw materials and weak beer sales for the fall.
The prospect of price rises led to a leap in beer sales in Japan last month, according to recent figures....
Beer shipments in Japan continued their downward trend last year, according to recent figures....
Kirin Holdings is teaming up with its trans-Tasman unit Lion Nathan to jointly purchase raw materials, in light of commodity cost increases....
FEMSA Cerveza has confirmed that it is raising its prices in Mexico....
Lion Nathan has completed its purchase of J Boag & Son....
Sapporo Breweries has confirmed plans to up prices for its beer and beer-like beverages....
Lion Nathan's purchase of Tasmanian brewer J. Boag & Son took a step nearer today (19 December), with the trans-Tasman drinks company gaining informal approval for the acquisition from competition aut...
China maintained the top spot in the beer league in 2006, according to recent data....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future