CHINA: Kingway Brewery Holdings H1 losses narrow
- H1 net losses narrow 7.5% to HKD94m (US$12m)
- Net sales up 4.5% to HKD803.6m
- Operating losses narrow 93% to HKD936,000
- Beer volumes down 1% to 394,000 tonnes
Kingway is in SABMiller's sights
Kingway Brewery Holdings has reduced its first-half losses ahead of a takeover by SABMiller's China JV.
Net losses narrowed by 7.5% to HKD94m (US$12m) in the six months to the end of June, the state-owned Guangdong Holdings Group subsidiary said yesterday (27 August). Net sales increased by 4.5% to HKD803.6m over the same period while operating losses neared break-even point, falling from HKD13.8m to HKD936,000.
China Resources Snow Breweries, a JV between SABMiller and China Resources Enterprise, agreed in February to take over Kingway's beer business for US$864m.
The deal was reportedly due to close this month but has yet to complete. Kingway yesterday confirmed that China's anti-monopoly authorities cleared the deal on 8 August.
The move follows a difficult 2012 for the brewer, when net losses totalled HKD168.5m compared to a HKD34.8m profit in 2011. The group has blamed the drop on China's competitive beer market.
In today's results, beer volumes continued to fall, down 1% in the six-month period, though the decline was less than 2012's 14% volumes drop.
The company said it is confident it can finance operations going forward after it last month secured CNY120m (US$19.6m) in banking facilities to add to the CNY90m it secured in June.
Looking ahead to the rest of the year, the company said it will focus on reinforcing its existing beer markets and sales channels.
To read the company's official statement, click here.
Last week, MillerCoors unveiled the biggest brand launch in its five-and-a-half year history: Miller Fortune, a beer designed to take on the spirits market. But, how will this strategy play out, and w...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research