KENYA: Kenya Breweries gets control of malt free beer
Kenya Breweries Ltd has been awarded the patent of manufacturing the world's first malt free light beer. The company has a unique barley brewing process formulated by its brewers, which does not involve the conventional malting and uses 100% barley.Awarded by the African Regional Industrial Property Organisation (ARIPO) and South Africa's department of trade and industry, the patent gives Kenya Breweries the rights for the formulation and brewing of Citizen, which was launched four years ago, and is one of the Kenyan firm's key brands.The patent also protects the brewing process in Kenya until 2017 and the only way another brewer can use the process is via Kenya Breweries Ltd or a KBL license.Citizen marketing manager, Tim Chege said: "Citizen is KBL's fastest growing brand and is at present ranked third after Tusker and Pilsner lagers."The ARIPO's patent covers Kenya, Botswana, Gambia, Ghana, Lesotho, Malawi, Sudan, Swaziland, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe, and Kenya Breweries Ltd, which is the only major rival for Castle Brewing Kenya Ltd, is now seeking a similar patent certificate from Tanzania and Ethiopia.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Carlsberg makes non-alcoholic brand organic
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends