KENYA: Kenya Breweries gets control of malt free beer
Kenya Breweries Ltd has been awarded the patent of manufacturing the world's first malt free light beer. The company has a unique barley brewing process formulated by its brewers, which does not involve the conventional malting and uses 100% barley.Awarded by the African Regional Industrial Property Organisation (ARIPO) and South Africa's department of trade and industry, the patent gives Kenya Breweries the rights for the formulation and brewing of Citizen, which was launched four years ago, and is one of the Kenyan firm's key brands.The patent also protects the brewing process in Kenya until 2017 and the only way another brewer can use the process is via Kenya Breweries Ltd or a KBL license.Citizen marketing manager, Tim Chege said: "Citizen is KBL's fastest growing brand and is at present ranked third after Tusker and Pilsner lagers."The ARIPO's patent covers Kenya, Botswana, Gambia, Ghana, Lesotho, Malawi, Sudan, Swaziland, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe, and Kenya Breweries Ltd, which is the only major rival for Castle Brewing Kenya Ltd, is now seeking a similar patent certificate from Tanzania and Ethiopia.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Coca-Cola to get boost from Monster in China
- CCE shows faith in Coca-Cola Life with full launch
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- United Spirits bids for distribution deal approval
- Gruppo Campari US unit head steps down
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018