US: Kentucky bans alcohol vaporizers
Alcohol vaporisers have been banned across the state of Kentucky in the US.
Governor Steve Beshear signed a bill on Tuesday (15 April) prohibiting the sale, purchase or use of devices that produce alcohol as fumes for inhalation. The law is expected to take effect from July.
Beshear said: "These devices have generated considerable concern from the law-enforcement and medical communities due to the increased potential for extreme alcohol impairment or consuming alcohol in deadly concentrations."
National Alliance for Model State Drug Laws executive director Sherry Green confirmed that Kentucky now joins over 20 other states that have instituted similar bans.
Kentucky Distillers' Association president Eric Gregory said that the spirits industry supported the legislation, adding: "We wanted to make sure that they're banned in Kentucky before they become the problem that they're becoming elsewhere."
It's a cliché of course that Christmas preparations in the UK seem to get earlier every year. But you have to give the UK supermarket chains their due, it's seemingly never too early to hang the prove...
The Olympic Games in China, which took place earlier this summer, is expected to have a "profound effect" on spirits companies in the country, according to recent research....
Rising consumer interest in speciality beers presents definite opportunities for the dark beer category, writes Catherine Mars of Euromonitor International....
Specialist drinks supplier Malcolm Cowen has announced a plan to merge with Eau de Vie, creating a larger distribution network in the UK....
Powers to raise the legal age for buying alcohol in shops in Scotland may be handed to local authorities, in order to side-step opposition in Parliament, insiders believe....
MPs for Scotland's ruling national party have found themselves isolated in the country's Parliament, over plans to raise the legal age for buying alcohol in shops to 21....
Berry Bros. & Rudd has lined up the latest addition to its Blue Hanger blended Scotch portfolio....
Supplies of flavoured malt beverages to Utah may cease, following new state laws restricting access to the drinks, Diageo and other drinks firms have said....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Pernod Ricard keen to stem Absolut US declines
- Heineken adds to UK on-trade footprint
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research