Australia: Kendall-Jackson completes Oz vineyard acquisition
Kendall-Jackson Wine Estates has completed the purchase of Eringa Park, a 172 hectares ranch in McLaren Vale, South Australia, for the production of it recently launched Yangarra Park brand.
The purchase price was not disclosed but some 97 hectares are planted primarily with various red varietals, including a renowned old vine Grenache vineyard originally planted in 1923. Other planted varietals include Shiraz, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Nebbiolo, along with a small Chardonnay section. The flagship vineyard was part of Normans Wines Limited.
In September, Kendall-Jackson introduced Yangarra Park, a new Australian brand under the direction of former Normans winemaker Peter Fraser. Yangarra Park translates from a local Australian dialect roughly as "Earth."
Eringa Park, which will be renamed as Yangarra Park, is located in the easterly portion of the McLaren Vale wine district, in the rolling foothills of the South Mt. Lofty Ranges, at an elevation of 591 feet, slightly higher than is normal in the district.
It is one of the largest vineyards in this tightly controlled area. The ranch includes a variety of houses and buildings, which could form the basis for a future estate winery on the property, according to Kendall-Jackson President John Grant.
The company said the purchase follows a traditional Kendall-Jackson approach of intense research into wine growing regions, individual vineyards and a desire to stand alone, without partners, in order to direct the production of the highest quality wines from every region where the company operates, including Italy, Chile and Argentina.
While Eringa Park allows the company to "plant its flag" in Australia, the focus for Yangarra Park will continue to source fruit from the best growers in the best wine growing regions in cool climate areas of South Australia, Grant said.
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Focus - Suntory Holdings' FY Performance
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report