UK: Keepers of the Quaich founder awarded OBE
The founder of Scotch society the Keepers of the Quaich and creator of brands including Johnnie Walker Blue Label and Malibu is to receive an OBE for services to the whisky industry.
James Espey, who started his career 43 years ago with Grand Metropolitan's Gilbey's Gin in South Africa and would later lead United Distillers in the US and chair Seagrams, will collect the honour before the end of the year. “It was a very pleasant surprise,” he told just-drinks yesterday (19 June).
“I've spent my life building brands and hopefully creating quite a few billion pounds of export for Scotland and the UK.”
Espey said his proudest achievement was setting up Keepers of the Quaich in 1988 after a visit to France. “I was made a chevalier of Burgundy (an exclusive club for Burgundy wine enthusiasts).” he said. “So I got the idea to create something that genuinely honours someone who has made a contribution to the Scotch whisky industry.”
He admits not all of his projects have been successful. In 1980, he launched German wine Night Music, but the launch bottles were not cleaned properly. “Some of the customers got added protein in the shape of dead flies,” he said.
Espey retired from his last UK directorship at AG Barr in 2011, but still heads up his own high-end spirits company The Last Drop Distillers and is a senior international consultant for Mongolian vodka maker APU. “We are launching a number of bottles on the world stage within a few months,” he said.
He is also chairman of Sainov Ltd, a Delhi-based Indian liquor marketer and producer.
To read a just-drinks interview with Espey from 2010, click here.
After a lively year for our industry, Stuart Whitwell from Intangible Business takes a look at what the next 12 months could have in store for the beer and spirits categories....
As most channels in Taiwan do not offer cider/perry products, they remained unpopular in 2012. Only premium supermarkets/hypermarkets, restaurants and pub/bars sold cider/perry products in their outle...
The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2013 summarises the data and trends in the annual IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Database. In a series of tables and charts, it provides analysis on the o...
Diageo has launched a powerful new anti-drink driving film, tied to its Johnnie Walker brand. ...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- SABMiller, Meantime Brewing say goodbye to 'craft'
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report