just the week in - Spirits & Wine
The week in spirits and wine
Almost by default, the craft sectors within the overall drinks industry have healthier sustainability credentials than their larger peers. Ben Cooper looks at what the smaller, newer players could teach the big boys.
India's Sula Vineyards has benefited from bad weather in its home state, with the company taking delivery of a large amount of cut-price, storm-damaged grapes.
The Distilled Spirits Council (DISCUS) and the American Craft Spirits Association (ACSA) have joined forces to call for a cut to federal excise tax on spirits.
Bacardi has entered the Bourbon category with the purchase of the Louisville-based Angel's Share Brands, owner of the "super-premium" Angel's Envy.
Export sales of Scotch whisky dropped by 7% in value terms last year as the category suffered in the US, its biggest market, new figures show.
Earlier today (1 April), the Scotch Whisky Association released full-year export figures for the category. Here's just-drinks provides a full rundown of the top markets by volume and value and how they performed in 2014:
Bacardi has confirmed to just-drinks that it has increased its presence in the Scotch whisky category through a stake purchase in craft distiller Compass Box Whisky Co.
Treasury Wine Estates has announced plans to sell some of its Australian and US wineries and confirmed further job losses as it continues with a major cost-cutting programme.
Bacardi has appointed an internal candidate to head up its rum portfolio globally.
Bacardi has entered the Bourbon market, following its purchase of Angel's Share Brands and its Louisville Distilling Co subsidiary this week. just-drinks spoke to the company's co-founder and chief innovation officer, Wes Henderson, about future plans, Bourbon consolidation and why some companies may be going too far in flavour innovation.
Earlier this month, at the annual CAGE conference in London, LVMH CFO Jean-Jacques Guiony presented an eye-opening look at how the luxury goods category operates. What can the spirits category learn f...
Diageo is to rename Indian whiskey McDowell's in export markets after pressure from the Scotch Whisky Association. ...
Bacardi Brown-Forman Brands (BBFB) is to take over UK distribution of Old Forester Kentucky Bourbon from Mangrove....
Bacardi has signed a deal with Russian spirits producer Synergy to bottle its William Lawson's blended Scotch whisky in Moscow. ...
Bacardi has redesigned its Martini portfolio and unveiled a new brand strategy as it looks to focus on the 'Modern Aperitivo' occasion. ...
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends