just the round-up - the week in drinks
It was the big names and the big deals that dominated the just-drinks headlines in this last week. Read on to see which stories attracted the most visitors over the last seven days.
Robert Sands speaks to just-drinks
A net loss in the last fiscal year and the global credit crunch may have led some to believe that Constellation Brands' rampaging acquisitive growth strategy may have to be put on hold. In the second part of this month's just-drinks interview, Constellation CEO Rob Sands suggests the emphasis is currently on creating efficiencies in existing businesses but that Constellation has lost neither its will nor the wherewithal to make further acquisitions.
The 2008 UK wine market survey
Whilst the UK wine industry remains confident about its future, the majority of the trade no longer sees the country as the most important wine market in the world, according to a survey of leading business figures conducted by just-drinks.
Diageo Canadian acquisition
Diageo has agreed in principle to acquire the Schenley Distillery and Bottling operation in Canada from Constellation Spirits. The purchase price was not disclosed.
Fortune loses court claim
A New York court has dismissed Fortune Brand's claim for an injunction to prevent the transfer of a minority stake in its Beam_Global Spirits & Wine unit to the Swedish government by Vin & Sprit, according to reports.
CCA on the acquisition hunt?
Reports out of Australia this weekend have claimed that Coca-Cola Amatil could be gearing up for a major acquisition push, possibly for Foster's Group.
US wine legend passes away
Robert Mondavi, the man who changed the landscape of the US wine industry, passed away on Friday (16 May).
InBev eyes A-B
Belgian brewer InBev is working on a US$46bn bid for Anheuser Busch an article in the Financial Times said today (23 May), boosting the US brewer's stock price.
B-F unveils succession plan
Brown-Forman has announced several upcoming changes to its board of directors as part of its long-term succession plan.
CEDC boosts Russian presence
Central European Distribution Corporation has signed a binding commitment to acquire a 40% stake in the Russian Alcohol Group (Russian Alcohol) for US$156.5m.
Champagne Indage UK buy
India's oldest and largest vintner, Champagne Indage , has acquired UK-based supplier Darlington Wines.
Vijay Mallya, owner of the UB Group, sits astride an enormous business empire which includes some of the largest drinks operations in one of the world's most exciting emerging markets. In the second p...
C&C Group has said it aims to be selling 1m cases of its Tullamore Dew Irish whiskey brand by 2012....
Diageo has re-iterated its confidence that the group's Reserve collection of super premium spirits brands will stand firm against a global economic downturn....
UK retail giant Tesco is cutting 15% of its total wine range over the next six months, according to reports....
United Spirits has confirmed that it is in talks with Diageo over a possible partnership in India....
The chief operating officer of Radico Khaitan has played down suggestions that the company's joint-venture with Diageo in India is under threat....
Constellation Wines Australia has dismissed reports the company is withdrawing from the cask wine business....
View 10 of the top stories published on just-drinks this week....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research