just On Call - Pernod Ricard targets Eastern Europe growth
Pernod Ricard has sights on Eastern Europe
Laurent Lacassagne told investors today (23 June) that Eastern Europe holds "significant and very attractive" prospects. "A significant part of this growth potential is coming from shifts from local brands to international brands," he said on a conference call.
This shift is being driven by rising disposable incomes and the emergence of middle class consumers in several markets. The Absolut and Chivas Brothers owner said that it expects volume sales of international spirits in its Europe, Middle East and Africa division to rise by 7.5% per year up to 2014.
This growth, he said, will not only be driven by Russia, whose economy has rebounded in the last year, but also by other countries such as Poland and Ukraine.
While Pernod is targeting increasingly affluent consumers in Eastern Europe, it is more focussed on market share gains in the mature countries of Western Europe. Across Europe in general, Lacassagne said: "We are gaining share in most European markets."
He added that the group has returned advertising and promotion spend in Europe to pre-crisis levels, with spend likely to hit 16% as a percentage of regional net sales in its current fiscal year.
Amid Europe's economic problems, Pernod Ricard has generally fared better than rival Diageo in the last year. This is largely because the French group has less exposure than Diageo to some of the hardest-hit markets, such as crisis-hit Greece.
Diageo, however, is likely to pull some ground back via Turkey over the next 12 months. Lacassagne said that he expects a bigger challenge from Diageo in Turkey following the Smirnoff distiller's deal to acquire local spirits giant Mey Icki.
Europe, Middle East and Africa, excluding France, represents 30% of Pernod Ricard's annual net sales.
More will follow on this conference call following the Q&A session.
Beam Inc is to buy Cooley Distillery, the only remaining independent whiskey distillery outside Pernod Ricard and Diageo's operations in Ireland, for close to US$95m....
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research