just On Call - Constellation Brands targets draught with Corona Light launch
Constellation released its YTD results yesterday
The head of Constellation Brands has predicted that Corona Light will spearhead a draught beer sales surge as it rolls out on tap across the US this year.
In a conference call earlier yesterday (8 January), Constellation chief executive & president Rob Sands said that the beer brand, which is currently being distributed to on-trade accounts, should overtake Pacifico as its biggest draught beer. Draught sales make up 2% to 3% of Constellation's total beer business, but Sands said that with, the Corona launch, “there's no reason to think that draught can't get to (industry average) 10% of our business over time”.
According to year-to-date results, released yesterday, Constellation's draught beer sales grew by 30% last year, helped by the company's takeover in June of Crown Imports, the US JV that it previously operated with Grupo Modelo.
“We're very happy with our draught business,” Sand said. “As we get into new accounts with draught, we do see some evidence that helps our case sales as well. It's a very good marketing point to have those tap handles in front of the consumers as they are enjoying our products on-premise.”
Constellation’s expanded beer business was the main driver for strong sales and profits increases in yesterday's results, while wine and spirits stayed relatively flat. The company predicts flat growth for wine and spirits this year, however in yesterday's call Sands said the outlook for the next financial year is better.
Asked what factors made him optimistic, Sands said: “(The wines and spirits) business continues to grow nicely, number one. And, we don't see the need for increasing promotional activity and input costs, which were significantly higher this year.”
Grupo Modelo is the leading company in beer in Mexico and its strategic direction has always pointed to international consumers as well. A recent example of this is its objective for 2015 which is to ...
In the third of our four-part look at sustainability in the wine category, Ben Cooper considers the drought that has affected California's winelands for the last three years....
The G8 Spirits industry guide provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The guide also c...
Formed as a result of Constellation Brands’s divestment of its UK and Australian operations, Accolade was the world’s eighth largest wine player in 2013. The company inherited a position where it was ...
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- The global tailwinds behind Heineken - Analysis
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends