just On Call - Beam Inc's deep pockets won't shake up US vodka - Campari CEO
Bob Kunze-Concewitz said the US vodka market remained difficult
In a conference call earlier today (15 May), CEO Bob Kunze-Concewitz said he feels that Beam's new US$650m acquistion won't have much of an impact on the overall category. Beam bought Pinnacle Vodka from White Rock Distilleries last month.
“How many new flavours can you launch in a year?” Kunze-Concewitz said. “I think they are pretty much at the ceiling there. I would be very surprised if they increased the rate of new flavour launches.”
Earlier today, Campari, which owns Skyy Vodka, posted healthy first-quarter results, boosted by a strong US performance for Skyy. Group sales in the three months to the end of March rose 3.4% compared to a year earlier.
However, in the conference call after the results release, Kunze-Concewitz said the crowded US vodka sector remained difficult.
“Is there any light at the end of the tunnel? Unfortunately I need to tell you that the tunnel is very long,” he said. “Thinking about pricing in the core US market, it remains very competitive and we don't see any change there.
“On the other hand, the infusions continue to perform quite nicely. So, nothing has changed in the competitive arena and nothing has changed on our strategy.”
Kunze-Concewitz outlined plans for a summer TV advertising campaign for Skyy in the US, the first such campaign for the brand.
He also said the company expected to turn around disappointing Campari Soda sales by focusing on the brand's 80th birthday this year.
“We're feel a little bit better about it,” he said.
Campari Soda posted a 6.3% sales decline in the first three months to the end of March.
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer