UK: Juice, smoothies lead the way in 2006
Juice and smoothies enjoyed the fastest-growth among drinks categories in the UK in 2006, according to data from industry analysts ACNielsen.
Sales of juice and smoothies leapt 19% this year thanks largely to this summer's hot weather, ACNielsen said over the weekend. Innocent Drinks, the makers of the eponymous fruit drinks and smoothies, led that growth, seeing sales soar 165% year-on-year in the year so far.
ACNielsen's statistics, which are taken from in-store EpoS data from over 83,000 retailers across the UK, also confirmed that 2006 has been a buoyant year for the cider category.
Cider and perry sales jumped 16%, driven, according to ACNielsen, by the growth of cider brand Magners, which saw take-home sales rise from GBP5m (US$9.7m) to GBP32m in 12 months.
UK drinkers also reached for bottled water and still drinks over the summer. Water sales rose 10%, while still drinks sales were up 8%.
Eleni Nicholas, MD of ACNielsen UK, said: "The summer heat wave has resulted in many drinks manufacturers having a bumper year. Fruit drinks and water have performed particularly well, these having the double whammy of being refreshing and healthy, which is key to today's consumer."
The fact that bad news travels faster than good, and is certainly more likely to make the headlines, is not lost on UK soft drinks companies, so it is somewhat surprising that the British Soft Drinks ...
Coca-Cola's US$4.1bn acquisition of Glacéau gives the company a presence in the growing enhanced waters sector where, writes Annette Farr, the soft drinks giant will be competing not only with smaller...
The expanding functional soft drinks market will continue to offer opportunities for smaller companies but, writes Helen Lewis, the growth potential has attracted major drinks corporations who are exp...
The biennial IFE trade show in London has over the years been the initial launch pad for many successful brands and heralded numerous mainstream trends in the soft drinks sector. Annette Farr visited ...
Innocent plans to launch a range of water products in the UK functional drinks market this month....
Innocent is teaming up with McDonald's by trialling its smoothies at 80 of the fast food company's restaurants in the north of England....
Innocent Drinks is dropping its Fruitstock music festival in the UK for a village fête in the capital....
A UK smoothie maker is hoping to galvanise industry support for a change in the tax on the category after the country's High Court ruled the drinks should be subject to VAT....
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Is single malt the Great White Hope for Scotch?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- US wholesalers point to Absolut decline - report
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US