UK: Juice, smoothies lead the way in 2006
Juice and smoothies enjoyed the fastest-growth among drinks categories in the UK in 2006, according to data from industry analysts ACNielsen.
Sales of juice and smoothies leapt 19% this year thanks largely to this summer's hot weather, ACNielsen said over the weekend. Innocent Drinks, the makers of the eponymous fruit drinks and smoothies, led that growth, seeing sales soar 165% year-on-year in the year so far.
ACNielsen's statistics, which are taken from in-store EpoS data from over 83,000 retailers across the UK, also confirmed that 2006 has been a buoyant year for the cider category.
Cider and perry sales jumped 16%, driven, according to ACNielsen, by the growth of cider brand Magners, which saw take-home sales rise from GBP5m (US$9.7m) to GBP32m in 12 months.
UK drinkers also reached for bottled water and still drinks over the summer. Water sales rose 10%, while still drinks sales were up 8%.
Eleni Nicholas, MD of ACNielsen UK, said: "The summer heat wave has resulted in many drinks manufacturers having a bumper year. Fruit drinks and water have performed particularly well, these having the double whammy of being refreshing and healthy, which is key to today's consumer."
The fact that bad news travels faster than good, and is certainly more likely to make the headlines, is not lost on UK soft drinks companies, so it is somewhat surprising that the British Soft Drinks ...
Coca-Cola's US$4.1bn acquisition of Glacéau gives the company a presence in the growing enhanced waters sector where, writes Annette Farr, the soft drinks giant will be competing not only with smaller...
The expanding functional soft drinks market will continue to offer opportunities for smaller companies but, writes Helen Lewis, the growth potential has attracted major drinks corporations who are exp...
The biennial IFE trade show in London has over the years been the initial launch pad for many successful brands and heralded numerous mainstream trends in the soft drinks sector. Annette Farr visited ...
Innocent plans to launch a range of water products in the UK functional drinks market this month....
Innocent is teaming up with McDonald's by trialling its smoothies at 80 of the fast food company's restaurants in the north of England....
Innocent Drinks is dropping its Fruitstock music festival in the UK for a village fête in the capital....
A UK smoothie maker is hoping to galvanise industry support for a change in the tax on the category after the country's High Court ruled the drinks should be subject to VAT....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets