US: Judge tells Danone to settle Wahaha dispute in China
China is the appropriate place for resolving the dispute, said the court late last week. Its ruling follows a case that Danone had brought in California against the wife and daughter of Wahaha chairman Zong Qinghou.
Kelly Zong is a US citizen, while You Zhen Shi is permanently resident in the US.
California superior judge Carl West refused to wholly dismiss the case last week, however, and ordered the parties to report back every six months on the progress of their case in China.
The case is the latest in a long-running international dispute between Danone and Wahaha. The firms signed a deal in 1996, but Danone has since alleged that Wahaha illegally copied products and sold them outside of the venture.
A spokesperson for Danone in China said that the US court indicated it would take the case back if China proved to be "inadequate" as an alternative forum.
He added: "The ruling is procedural in nature and does not address the merits of Danone's claims against the defendants."
In January, Danone said it would appeal a ruling in the High Court of the British Virgin Islands, after it lost in its attempt to freeze assets of nine companies linked to Wahaha in the territory.
An arbitration court in Stockholm, Sweden, is set to hear the dispute between Danone and Wahaha this year, to make what could be a critical ruling.
The US has Budweiser, the so-called King of Beers. Soon Japan may have a Godzilla. Kirin, the country's biggest maker of suds, is mulling a merger with family-owned drinks maker Suntory, according to ...
Today (15 July) is known as St Swithin's Day in the UK. According to folklore, if it rains on St Swithin's Day it will rain for the next 40 days in succession.* The British are, of course, fixated by ...
In 1996, Hangzhou Wahaha Group Co, a leading beverage producer in China, began a joint venture with Danone Group to form five new subsidiaries....
Nestlé has said it must find new opportunities for bottled water in the US and key Western Europe markets in order to help turn around flagging sales for the Nestlé Waters business....
Danone has reported rises in net sales and profits for the first half of 2009, with bottled water sales recovering some lost ground in the second quarter....
Nestle Waters has confirmed it is eyeing acquisitions in emerging markets in a bid to improve its sales performance....
Danone Waters is to open a distribution centre at the northwest German Port of Duisburg to handle its Volvic and Evian brands....
Frucor Beverages, the Australasian drinks group owned by Japan's Suntory, has signed a deal to acquire New Zealand fruit drinks firm Simply Squeezed Holdings....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends