UK: Jose Cuervo targets older crowd as Tequila wrestles image problem
Jose Cuervo's 100%-agave Tequila brand Tradicional is getting a marketing push
The international arm of Jose Cuervo has upped the UK marketing spend around the Tradicional variant of its Tequila brand in a bid to boost the category's image in the country.
Pop-up restaurant events around London next month will aim to change perceptions of the Mexican spirit while targeting older consumers, Jose Cuervo said yesterday (26 September). Financial details behind the marketing push were not disclosed.
“Tequila has the ability to connect people, transcending age and socio-demographic groups, on occasions where friends come together to enjoy good times,” said Jose Cuervo's senior commercial manager, Pierpaolo Indelicato. “Our challenge is to communicate this to a demographic of consumers over 25 to whom the spirit has lost relevance and appeal, but are willing to re-evaluate Tequila.”
The “Supper Clubs” will also aim to educate consumers on the Mexican way to drink Tradicional rather than slamming it with lemon and salt.
“People are developing a love for 100%-agave Tequila that is sipped ice-cold with friends, of course how they do in Mexico,” Jose Cuervo international MD Peter Gutierrez said.
The Jose Cuervo brand is owned by the Beckmann family and distributed outside of Mexico by Diageo. The distribution deal will expire in June next year and speculation is rife that Diageo will attempt to buy the brand outright.
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Inver House Distillers posts FY profits leap
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research