UK: Jose Cuervo targets older crowd as Tequila wrestles image problem
Jose Cuervo's 100%-agave Tequila brand Tradicional is getting a marketing push
The international arm of Jose Cuervo has upped the UK marketing spend around the Tradicional variant of its Tequila brand in a bid to boost the category's image in the country.
Pop-up restaurant events around London next month will aim to change perceptions of the Mexican spirit while targeting older consumers, Jose Cuervo said yesterday (26 September). Financial details behind the marketing push were not disclosed.
“Tequila has the ability to connect people, transcending age and socio-demographic groups, on occasions where friends come together to enjoy good times,” said Jose Cuervo's senior commercial manager, Pierpaolo Indelicato. “Our challenge is to communicate this to a demographic of consumers over 25 to whom the spirit has lost relevance and appeal, but are willing to re-evaluate Tequila.”
The “Supper Clubs” will also aim to educate consumers on the Mexican way to drink Tradicional rather than slamming it with lemon and salt.
“People are developing a love for 100%-agave Tequila that is sipped ice-cold with friends, of course how they do in Mexico,” Jose Cuervo international MD Peter Gutierrez said.
The Jose Cuervo brand is owned by the Beckmann family and distributed outside of Mexico by Diageo. The distribution deal will expire in June next year and speculation is rife that Diageo will attempt to buy the brand outright.
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Amazon adds alcohol to one-hour delivery service
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research