JORDAN: Jordan follows Germany with Red Bull ban - report
Red Bull has seen another country follow Germany's lead in banning its products after the recent discovery of traces of cocaine in its namesake cola drink.
The Jordan Times reported today (29 May) that Jordan has banned the importation of Red Bull Simply Cola. The company's products have also been ordered to be withdrawn from the Jordanian market, the paper said.
"Whenever we receive reports from any country regarding the withdrawal of a product from the market and we have it in Jordan, we do the same until we conduct the required tests," Mohammad Rawashdeh, director with the Jordan Food and Drug Administration, was quoted as saying.
Late last week, the German Nordrhein-Westfalen Institute of Health and Work raised concerns with German authorities regarding the inclusion of de-cocainised coca leaf extract in Red Bull Simply Cola. The discovery led to six German states instructing retailers to pull Simply Cola from its shelves, with another five states also issuing a ban.
When contacted by just-drinks earlier this week, a spokesperson for Red Bull at its head office in Austria said: "To clear up any concerns, we met the relevant local authority, the Bavarian Ministry for Environment, Health, and Consumer Protection, on Monday. Based on this meeting, the Ministry has decided to officially investigate the existing examination results. In this way, we are sure that we will be able to clear up the facts very soon."
As the attacks on the soft drinks and bottled water industries grow increasingly vocal around the world, companies in the two categories have looked to products offering whatever the consumer wants. M...
There's a new impulse buy opportunity for retailers and an energy/nutrition fix for consumers in the form of a niche, but growing category - the shot. Annette Farr considers the category, and takes a ...
Coca-Cola Spain has launched energy drink Burn con Zumo (Burn with Juice) in the country....
Red Bull Energy Shot...
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research