JORDAN: Jordan follows Germany with Red Bull ban - report
Red Bull has seen another country follow Germany's lead in banning its products after the recent discovery of traces of cocaine in its namesake cola drink.
The Jordan Times reported today (29 May) that Jordan has banned the importation of Red Bull Simply Cola. The company's products have also been ordered to be withdrawn from the Jordanian market, the paper said.
"Whenever we receive reports from any country regarding the withdrawal of a product from the market and we have it in Jordan, we do the same until we conduct the required tests," Mohammad Rawashdeh, director with the Jordan Food and Drug Administration, was quoted as saying.
Late last week, the German Nordrhein-Westfalen Institute of Health and Work raised concerns with German authorities regarding the inclusion of de-cocainised coca leaf extract in Red Bull Simply Cola. The discovery led to six German states instructing retailers to pull Simply Cola from its shelves, with another five states also issuing a ban.
When contacted by just-drinks earlier this week, a spokesperson for Red Bull at its head office in Austria said: "To clear up any concerns, we met the relevant local authority, the Bavarian Ministry for Environment, Health, and Consumer Protection, on Monday. Based on this meeting, the Ministry has decided to officially investigate the existing examination results. In this way, we are sure that we will be able to clear up the facts very soon."
As the attacks on the soft drinks and bottled water industries grow increasingly vocal around the world, companies in the two categories have looked to products offering whatever the consumer wants. M...
There's a new impulse buy opportunity for retailers and an energy/nutrition fix for consumers in the form of a niche, but growing category - the shot. Annette Farr considers the category, and takes a ...
Coca-Cola Spain has launched energy drink Burn con Zumo (Burn with Juice) in the country....
Red Bull Energy Shot...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages