US: Jones Soda lines up anti-stress energy beverage
Jones Soda has secured exclusive rights to an anti-stress natural additive.
The US soft drinks company, which operates in the soda and energy drink segments, announced yesterday (26 June) that a deal has been struck with Japan's Pharma Foods International and Mitsubishi Corporation, allowing Jones exclusive use of Pharma Gabatm in its beverages.
Pharma Gabatm is a naturally-produced form of the amino acid gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), a neurotransmitter in the human brain that exerts a number of anti-stress effects. Already in use in Japan, the ingredient recently achieved 'generally recognised as safe' status in the US, Jones noted.
In Japan, Pharma Gabatm is used in coffee - where it helps counteract the negative effects of caffeine - as well as chocolate, sports beverages, water, energy beverages and confectionary.
"Securing the rights to Pharma Gabatm is the key step in our development of an entirely new type of Jones energy beverage," said Peter van Stolk, president and CEO of Jones Soda.
The new product line is expected to be available at select retail locations by the end of this year.
Although a small sector in volume terms, the energy drinks category punches above its weight in the global soft drinks market in value, and has outpaced market growth for many years. While the rate of...
The US has overtaken Thailand as the global leader for energy drink sales, according to an industry report....
Coca-Cola Amatil has upped its profit forecast for the second half of this year....
Redux Beverages has announced an addition to its line of energy drinks based on the fictional drink from the cult film Idiocracy....
Energy drink producer DNA Beverage has announced that it has appointed Solid Gold Distributors as its distributor for Tennessee and Mississippi, completing its expansion into the southeast US....
Barr Soft Drinks has signed an exclusive five-year partnership agreement with the North American energy drinks brand Rockstar to sell its double-sized energy drink brands across the UK....
Leading Brands has posted a loss in its second quarter figures due to several changes made during the latter part of last year and Q1 of 2007....
American Enterprise Development Corporation has launched a sugar-free version of its Havoc energy drink brand across the US....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research