GLOBAL: Johnnie Walker retains Power 100 top spot - poll
The Power 100 list, produced by consultancy Intangible Business, said the Scotch whisky brand has “harnessed the international popularity of premium Scotch” through new variants, while still being supported by its “strong heritage and reputation”. It also pointed to a 10% rise in net sales for the brand in the past year.
Whisk(e)y was also crowned the leading category in the wine and spirits market, with Scotland named the top country for producing brands for the ninth consecutive year.
In second spot in the overall Power 100 list was another Diageo brand, Smirnoff. The consultancy said the vodka had benefitted from “careful brand management against pressure from the highly-competitive US vodka market”.
The agency said that increased spending from Western consumers had also buoyed the market for “high-end craft-aged brown spirits”, including Bourbon.
However, Cognac suffered overall in the list due to the slowdown in China sparked by government measures relating to an anti-corruption drive.
The list assesses the financial contribution of each brand alongside its strength in the eyes of the consumer, Intangible Business said. It is compiled by combining scores from a panel of “some of the world’s leading drinks industry experts” with hard data, the agency said.
The brands are rated according to share of market, future growth, premium price position, awareness, relevance, heritage and brand perception.
For a full list of the Power 100, click here.
Venus Spirits has launched a second style of Wayward whiskey. The rye has been aged for seven months in ten-gallon casks and the 60% rye mash bill is rounded out with organic corn, organic malted barl...
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends