INDIA: John Distilleries mulls stake sale - Beam, Wm Grant, Campari, ThaiBev named - report
Beam Inc, Gruppo Campari, William Grant & Sons and ThaiBev have all been linked to Indian spirits producer John Distilleries, according to local reports.
A story in The Times of India today (4 April) claims that John Distilleries, which owns the Original Choice Indian whiskey brand, is considering selling a “large stake” to a non-Indian company. Uncited banking sources named Beam, William Grant and ThaiBev as having signed non-disclosure agreements with the firm in the Times of India piece.
A separate report earlier this year also claimed that Campari is in the running.
When contacted by just-drinks, a spokesperson for Beam would not be drawn on the reports. “As a matter of company policy, we don't comment on rumour or speculation,” the spokesperson said.
No-one was immediately available for comment at William Grant and ThaiBev, while Campari also declined to comment on the reports.
Privately-owned John Distilleries owns 16 production facilities in 12 Indian states. It also has a distribution network covering 14 states, with exports travelling to countries including the UK, Angola and Ghana. Late last year, it launched Paul John Single Cask 161, a high-end whiskey expression, in the UK.
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report