INDIA: John Distilleries mulls stake sale - Beam, Wm Grant, Campari, ThaiBev named - report
Beam Inc, Gruppo Campari, William Grant & Sons and ThaiBev have all been linked to Indian spirits producer John Distilleries, according to local reports.
A story in The Times of India today (4 April) claims that John Distilleries, which owns the Original Choice Indian whiskey brand, is considering selling a “large stake” to a non-Indian company. Uncited banking sources named Beam, William Grant and ThaiBev as having signed non-disclosure agreements with the firm in the Times of India piece.
A separate report earlier this year also claimed that Campari is in the running.
When contacted by just-drinks, a spokesperson for Beam would not be drawn on the reports. “As a matter of company policy, we don't comment on rumour or speculation,” the spokesperson said.
No-one was immediately available for comment at William Grant and ThaiBev, while Campari also declined to comment on the reports.
Privately-owned John Distilleries owns 16 production facilities in 12 Indian states. It also has a distribution network covering 14 states, with exports travelling to countries including the UK, Angola and Ghana. Late last year, it launched Paul John Single Cask 161, a high-end whiskey expression, in the UK.
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research