INDIA: John Distilleries mulls stake sale - Beam, Wm Grant, Campari, ThaiBev named - report
Beam Inc, Gruppo Campari, William Grant & Sons and ThaiBev have all been linked to Indian spirits producer John Distilleries, according to local reports.
A story in The Times of India today (4 April) claims that John Distilleries, which owns the Original Choice Indian whiskey brand, is considering selling a “large stake” to a non-Indian company. Uncited banking sources named Beam, William Grant and ThaiBev as having signed non-disclosure agreements with the firm in the Times of India piece.
A separate report earlier this year also claimed that Campari is in the running.
When contacted by just-drinks, a spokesperson for Beam would not be drawn on the reports. “As a matter of company policy, we don't comment on rumour or speculation,” the spokesperson said.
No-one was immediately available for comment at William Grant and ThaiBev, while Campari also declined to comment on the reports.
Privately-owned John Distilleries owns 16 production facilities in 12 Indian states. It also has a distribution network covering 14 states, with exports travelling to countries including the UK, Angola and Ghana. Late last year, it launched Paul John Single Cask 161, a high-end whiskey expression, in the UK.
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research