INDIA: John Distilleries mulls stake sale - Beam, Wm Grant, Campari, ThaiBev named - report
Beam Inc, Gruppo Campari, William Grant & Sons and ThaiBev have all been linked to Indian spirits producer John Distilleries, according to local reports.
A story in The Times of India today (4 April) claims that John Distilleries, which owns the Original Choice Indian whiskey brand, is considering selling a “large stake” to a non-Indian company. Uncited banking sources named Beam, William Grant and ThaiBev as having signed non-disclosure agreements with the firm in the Times of India piece.
A separate report earlier this year also claimed that Campari is in the running.
When contacted by just-drinks, a spokesperson for Beam would not be drawn on the reports. “As a matter of company policy, we don't comment on rumour or speculation,” the spokesperson said.
No-one was immediately available for comment at William Grant and ThaiBev, while Campari also declined to comment on the reports.
Privately-owned John Distilleries owns 16 production facilities in 12 Indian states. It also has a distribution network covering 14 states, with exports travelling to countries including the UK, Angola and Ghana. Late last year, it launched Paul John Single Cask 161, a high-end whiskey expression, in the UK.
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Diageo teams Johnnie Walker up with Entourage
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research