FRANCE/CHINA: Jinfeng Wine to take controlling stake in Diva Bordeaux
Rice wine producer Jinfeng is to raise CNY700m (US$112.3m) to part-fund a 70% stake in Bordeaux wine brokers Diva.
The undisclosed leftover cash will be invested in expanding Diva's presence in China as the French company continues to target exports in the country, Diva's CEO Jean-Pierre Rousseau told just-drinks today (19 December). Half of Diva's wine exports are to China and it hopes to increase this over the new few years, Rousseau said.
“When we were looking for capital we had the choice of different countries, but we chose China because first it would bring us the cash, but also the opportunity for development,” he added.
Jinfeng will raise the money through an issue of 90.32m new shares to no more than ten investors, including its largest shareholder Shanghai Tangjiu. Tangjiu is an affiliate of Chinese group Bright Food, which bought the 70% stake in Diva in June.
Rousseau said Bright Food, which bought UK breakfast cereal maker Weetabix in May, is selling its stake in Jinfeng to help Diva raise vital capital.
“They (Bright Food) decided that the best way to develop our business in China and to develop the wine culture in China was to have more financial means,” he said.
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Are Big Spirits Companies Failing to Innovate?
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Suntory sells Louis Royer Cognac for US$110m
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research