USA: JBB emerges as frontrunner in Absolut chase
And, a report today in the Wall Street Journal has named the US-based Fortune Brands as the frontrunner to clinch a deal with the vodka's owner Vin & Sprit (V&S).
The article states that a deal between the Swedish spirit and wine group and Fortune Brands's subsidiary Jim Beam Brands (JBB) could be sealed in the next two weeks, according to industry sources. However neither Fortune Brands nor V&S commented on the news.
A Fortune Brands deal would be a major surprise to the industry. Most of the speculation has revolved around Pernod Ricard and Bacardi so far, both much larger concerns than the Illinois-based Fortune Brands.
Absolut's distribution rights have been the source of speculation since it was revealed that a change in the ownership of Seagram, the current distributors, could precursor a renegotiation of the worldwide rights to the brand by V&S.
V&S may be tempted by a Fortune deal because of the greater control it could exercise over Absolut outside Sweden, than if it was with a giant like Bacardi. The brand would probably also benefit from being part of Maxxium, JBB's distribution agreement with Remy and Highland Distillers.
As Pernod Ricard, Allied Domecq and Fortune Brands close in on the biggest drinks industry deal since the sale of Seagram, opinion about how the deal will be structured and who stands to win and lose ...
It's been a quiet day on the Pernod/Allied Domecq front....
Conflicting reports circulated this weekend over whether Bacardi International is looking to form a counter-bid for Allied Domecq....
Todays press reports into Pernod and Fortune's hopes to buy Allied Domecq warn of possible conflicts and set a date for completion....
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are considering a US$13 billion bid for Allied Domecq, the world's second-largest spirits company. Were it to take place, Pernod and Fortune would split Allied's brand...
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are hoping to buy Allied Domecq for around 670p per share, according to press reports....
Anheuser-Busch has revealed plans to launch a new variant in its Bacardi Silver range....
The US consumer goods group Fortune Brands has confirmed it is in talks about launching a joint bid with Pernod Ricard for Allied Domecq....
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Why has Heineken made a Formula 1 U-turn?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Major spirits M&A remains out of sight - analyst
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview