JAPAN: Japan's biggest dairy chief quits after outbreak of food poisoning
The president of Japan's biggest dairy firm Snow Brand Products has quit after the country's worst outbreak of food poisoning for 30 years.More than 12,000 people fell ill from drinking contaminated low-fat milk and local authorities ordered the company to shut its Osaka plant in western Japan at the weekend. Local authorities ordered the shutdown after discovering there was no proper maintenance record for one of the milk storage tanks and the cause of the outbreak was traced to bacteria in a valve in the milk production line, which had not been cleaned properly.The company also stopped part of its operation at its Hino plant in Tokyo on Thursday.Snow Brand President Tetsuro Ishikawa said he would resign at the end of September."I think is would be the best for me to apologise and step down," Ishikawa told a press conference.He continued to say: "We had been confident about security control due to our long business experience. From now on we will listen to outside opinions to transform ourselves into a new company."Reports said 12,027 people have so far fallen ill, about 160 people have needed hospital treatment and 30 are still being detained in hospital.The outbreak has already caused a sharp drop in Snow Brand's share price and reports said shares touched 396 yen on Thursday, down 30.5% since 30 June.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report