UK: Japanese dairy plants re-open after food poisoning outbreak
Japan's leading dairy producer, Snow Brand Milk Products Ltd, has been told by the government it can re-open 20 of its 21 plants, after more than 12,000 Snow Brand customers suffered food poisoning after consuming its products.But, the government has said the company's plant in Osaka, western Japan, where tainted milk originated, will remain closed while police continue to investigate.Vowing to regain public confidence after sales plunged by 80% as a direct result of the scandal, Snow Brand president, Kohei Nishi has said it will take several years to regain trust from its customers.However, plans by the company to change its household name to distance itself from the health scare are no longer being considered. Instead, it will increase tests for bacteria in factories, never recycle milk products and will reveal more information to the public about its operations.After cancelling all Snow Brand shipments after officials said the food poisoning outbreak could have been caused by negligence, Ito Yokado Co, Japan's biggest retailing group has said it will resume sales of Snow Brands milk products, except in the region around Osaka. Seven top executives at Snow Brand and the company's previous president Tetsuro Ishikawa resigned because of the scare - the country's worst outbreak of food poisoning for 30 years.Sarah Diston
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Heineken CEO spies trouble ahead for UK
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo puts Bacardi in frame with white rum ads
- Heineken ups sales, profits despite volume squeeze
- Mast-Jagermeister closes Sidney Frank buy
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research