JAPAN - Asahi Breweries FY profits rise, quells Foster's beer talk
- Profits up by 11% in 2010
- Beer sales struggle in Japan
- President dampens Foster's rumours
Asahi Breweries says Foster's beer price is too high
Asahi said today (8 February) that net profits rose by 11% for the 12 months to the end of December, to JPY53bn (US$644m). Operating profits rose by 15% on the year before, to JPY95.3bn.
Cost savings and fewer one-off charges drove earnings, with Asahi's net sales up by just 1% for the year, to JPY1.49tn. Sales in the group's alcoholic beverages business sank by a fifth as Japanese consumers continued to reduce their beer consumption. It expects the division's sales to be flat in 2011.
Japan's sluggish beer market has prompted all of Japan's big four brewers to seek acquisitions abroad over the last couple of years.
Despite this, Asahi's president, Naoki Izumiya, sought to quell speculation that his company will attempt to boost its overseas presence by bidding for Foster's beer unit, Carlton & United Breweries. Foster's is planning to demerge CUB from its wine arm within the next few months and analysts strongly expect takeover offers for the businesses.
Izumiya was quoted by Reuters today as saying that "the price [for CUB] is expensive and recently (Australia's) market is looking tough". He indicated that Asahi is more interested in increasing its 20% stake in China's Tsingtao, as well as ties with South Korea's Lotte Group.
Foster's is expected to announce more details on the timing of its demerger in its half-year results statement, due on 15 February.
Separately today, Asahi announced that it will change its name from Asahi Breweries to Asahi Group Holdings on 1 July.
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets