AUSTRALIA: IWIF wins vote to continue
Additional reporting by Tony Baker
Australia's International Wine Investment Fund is to continue its investment activities after a group of dissident shareholders were defeated in their attempt to have the fund dissolved.
In the end the margin of victory for the IWIF's management team Berren Asset Management, who has been battling for continuation, was substantial, with around 65% of unitholders voting for the fund to continue.
More than 80% of the fund's 58.4 million units were cast in today's vote.
CEO of Berren Chris Day has now set a goal to build a A$1 billion (US$663m) wine company within a decade. Day described the challenge from the dissident shareholders led by controversial businessman Rene Rivkin as ridiculous.
The first move after the vote would be a major investment of up to A$20m (US$13.2m) to be announced within weeks, Day said.
Constellation Brands this week signed a conditional agreement under which it will become the wine fund's third-largest equity holder with a 15.4% stake.
Companies: Constellation Brands
A consortium led by Constellation Brands has made a tentative approach for Allied Domecq....
The Board of Directors of Constellation Brands, Inc. has declared a quarterly dividend on the company's 5.75% Series A Mandatory Convertible Preferred Stock, payable on 1 June, to shareholders of reco...
Constellation is expected to launch a counter-bid for Allied Domecq by the end of this month, according to press reports....
The Hardy Wine Company has posted a record grape harvest....
Constellation Brands is to launch a new Australian wine brand onto the US market through its North Lake Wines. The wine will be called Kelly's Revenge....
A host of drinks companies spent the weekend mulling over whether to launch counter-bids for Allied Domecq, according to press reports over the last few days....
This weekend's press reports have thrown up two other interested parties in the potential Allied Domecq carve-up....
Constellation Brands is interested in some of Allied Domecq's spirits brands, according to reports today (15 April)....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Interview - Harviestoun Brewery MD Toby Knowles
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Guinness Nigeria sees YTD sales, profits tumble
- Bacardi recruits ex-News International exec
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends