JAPAN: Ito En thrives despite tea competition
Ito En, Japan's leading producer of green-tea drinks, has enjoyed a rise in first-half sales and earnings.
The company said yesterday (4 December) that operating profit for the six months ending 31 October rose 7.4% to JPY12.9bn (US$112.6m). Sales were up 5.2% to JPY162.6bn.
Ito En's results come amid growing competition in Japan's ready-to-drink tea sector. Coca-Cola Co. and Kirin Brewery have launched a raft of tea drinks, while retail chain 7-Eleven now sells a range of own-brand teas.
Last month, the company moved to diversify its business with the acquisition of a majority stake in a large Japanese coffee shop chain.
In the last six months, Ito En has also moved to expand its presence overseas. In June, it bought Florida-based Mason Distributors, a deal that allows the company to sell to over 5,000 outlets.
Coca-Cola Hellenic Bottling Company (CCHBC) has completed its acquisition of the Italian vending operator Eurmatik....
The Coca-Cola Co.'s Mexican unit has been hit by a fine for monopoly practices in the country....
The Coca-Cola Co. has joined PepsiCo in stepping away from conducting experiments on animals, according to reports....
Coca-Cola FEMSA and The Coca-Cola Company have seen their plans to buy Mexican fruit juice company Jugos del Valle hit the buffers....
Coca-Cola Co. has confirmed it will buy vitamin water maker Glaceau in a move that will expand its non-carbonated beverage line....
Irn Bru is launching an advertising campaign involving Goths holidaying in Blackpool to a soundtrack by The Undertones....
Coca-Cola has refused to be drawn on rumours it is interested in acquiring the vitamin water maker Glaceau. However, the company's president has confirmed the soft drink giant is open to acquisitions....
Coca-Cola Co. has filed a premerger notification about the proposed acquisition of Glaceau....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts